Thursday, August 30, 2012

Decision-Makers


Ezra 10:4
“Arise! For this matter is your responsibility, but we will be with you; be courageous and act.”

(Disclaimer:  This verse is taken a little out of context, but I don’t think I’m abusing it, since I’m not commenting on what it means, just what it says.  This verse was said on behalf of the people of Israel to Ezra the prophet about a particular issue.  You can read more here.)

I am really thankful for those on whom the responsibility lies to make decisions.  I, personally, despise making decisions.  I don’t like the weight of the responsibility, and I don’t usually trust my own judgment enough to feel confident in making decisions.  I will sometimes even stress out over small decisions.  At times, I have to realize that it isn't my decision to make.  (Whew!)  Most of the time, I like to take the tack that seems to be portrayed in this verse.

If you have to make a decision, I will be behind you all the way, and try to help gather information or whatever you may need in order to make your decision.  I may enlist the help of others or inform you that you may want to do a little more research, since research isn’t my forte, but I will still do whatever I can to help.  Just so long as I don’t have to make the final decision.

My distaste for decisions is almost assuredly based on fear, and I haven’t fully determined what the root fear is.  I can rationalize bits and pieces of it biblically, but I think it’s just that:  rationalization rather than truth.  

However, God does, at times, make allowances for those of us who are weaker.  “Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves.” (Romans 15:1)  I am that weaker person, and the one I am putting the decision on is the person that is willing to take on my weakness in their strength in Christ.

Thank you, Lord, for sending someone to meet me at my own level who can pick up the slack.  Give me the wisdom, power, and diligence to grow in You, and eventually be able to pick up the slack for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment