Thursday, August 23, 2012

Laughter


Proverbs 24:14
Know that wisdom is thus for your soul;
If you find it, then there will be a future,
And your hope will not be cut off.

I am thankful for my baby’s laughter.  It comes easily, is uncontrollable,  and is based off of the simplest things.  It’s adorable and contagious.  His little world seems so full of joy.

God is showing me that this isn’t due so much to his circumstances as it is to his attitude.  (A nine and a half month old can have an attitude?  Oh yes - just ask the nearest mama.)  His outlook on life is very innocent.  He hasn’t seen most of the things that you and I have.  

But that doesn’t mean that I should forget the things that I’ve seen.  There is a fine line and a severe consequence between the simplicity of the naive and the simplicity of the wise.  (Proverbs mentions this a few times.)  Which is, perhaps, why I am no longer “innocent” like a child.  But having lost my naiveté, I should “do away with childish things” (1 Corinthians 13:11), and press on toward wisdom - His wisdom.

My attitude should be based on my hope in the Lord.  In Him is freedom of laughter and overwhelming joy once again.  When my attitude is based off of my circumstances, my focus blurs and fear enters the equation.  It is hard to explain why I sometimes fear to laugh.  Perhaps I am fearing man rather than God.  If I lift up my eyes to Christ, He will grant me the freedom to “smile at the future,” like the Proverbs 31 woman.  

So I strive to lift up my eyes unto the Lord, and laugh uncontrollably in His joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment