Tuesday, August 28, 2012

God's Presence


Psalm 16:11a
“You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy...”

Do you ever talk a problem out to yourself?  I do this rather often. It helps me to “get things on the table” so to speak. I find I think a little more rationally if I say my thoughts aloud. (I don’t mind being called crazy - I think it might be a bit true...)  

This can, however, be a problem sometimes. Have you ever found yourself talking to a friend about your problem, and instead of being able to let off steam and calm down, it winds you tighter and you get more worked up? This is what happens when I have intense feelings about a problem I am trying to talk out to myself.

I was struggling with this tonight, and asked God what I needed to do. It was like He said, “I’m glad you asked. Would you like to talk to Me about it now?”

I realized I had been talking to myself about it, but not talking to God about it. I wasn’t praying or asking for His input. When I talk to God about my problem, I talk differently. I check my attitude - to a point, at least - and I check the validity of what I’m saying. This rather struck me.

If I am to take my thoughts captive, then I need to constantly practice being in the presence of God. I can use His presence to compare what I am saying to what He has said. I am so thankful He has made His presence available to me. His presence, though it can seem stern, is also compassionate. And I need His compassion. His compassion is part of why I am able to partake in His joy. 

God is always there to talk to. He isn’t going to take nonsense; He’s going to make sure you see the truth, even if it’s hard to take. But He will always do it out of love for you. “Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?” (Romans 2:4).  

No comments:

Post a Comment