Thursday, August 9, 2012

Music

Romans 8:26
“In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words...”

Music is, after a fashion, a universal language all peoples can understand. Even if music isn’t your forte, you can still appreciate it. I think it must be heavily related to mood.

That’s why composers score music for movies to enhance or set the mood of a scene. Upbeat music can sometimes bring us out of a funk, just as sad music can bring us to mourn. We can sing our hearts out in praise to God, relax to a melody, march in unity, honor the memory of someone dear to us, or just fill the silence.

I sometimes wonder if the Holy Spirit uses music as His “groanings too deep for words.” The feelings we can express with music are, at times, too deep for words. Sometimes I “groan” to Him through my music, because I just don’t have the words to express what I’m feeling. As Paul said, “we do not know how to pray as we should.” I am thankful for music, and the freedom He has given me to be able to use it to communicate those feelings with Him. He understands.

How best do you communicate with God? Have you been communicating to Him lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment