Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Friends

Proverbs 27:10
“Do not forsake your own friend or your father’s friend, And do not go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity; Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother far away.”



My son is 9 months old, so it has been 18 months since I’ve had that “monthly womanly thing.” Yes, I had forgotten just how much I enjoy not having them. I have begun again, and not quite like I had left off, which took me a bit by surprise.

I thought to myself, “I did this for years, I know how to deal with this.” So I wore white. Do I hear a sigh? Yes, that was definitely a sigh... or perhaps a face palm.

The inevitable occurred while I was at work 45 minutes from home with no extra pair of pants. I could have called my husband, who was 25 minutes away and asked him to bring a pair of my mother-in-law’s pants. I did, actually. Then I remembered this verse.  

This may not have been a “calamity,” but it was certainly embarrassing. I remembered that a friend of mine lived just a few minutes away. It might have been a bit more embarrassing, but it truly was better than making my husband take just shy of an hour out of his day.  

And she didn’t mind a bit. She completely understood and dropped everything to come right away, even though she had to leave her family for just a bit. I am so thankful for my friend and the sacrifice of her time to help me out.

God is like that friend. Except that He’s even better, because He’s always doing this for us. I don’t mean always as in it happens all the time. I mean always as in constantly. He never ceases in His care for us.

What does God’s care look like in your life at the moment?

2 comments:

  1. After a very busy season, God is allowing me a few days of quiet to just BE without pressure to do a lot. This is just the care I need to rejuvenate my body and spirit. What a wonderful, caring Father we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed He is - and it's a miracle how He tailors that care to each of our unique and individual needs!

      Delete