Friday, August 10, 2012

Handwriting


2 Thessalonians 3:17
“I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand, and this is a distinguishing mark in every letter; this is the way I write.”

There’s something nice about receiving a handwritten letter in the mail.  It’s rather endearing to read the handwritten lines of someone you love; a person’s handwriting gives their composition the unique touch of their character.  Don’t get me wrong, I love to be able to type letters.  I type much faster than I write - and it’s far more legible.  Handwriting, however, is recognizable.  I can know that you wrote it, because I recognize your handwriting.    

I’m not sure if Paul was talking about his handwriting or his letter as a whole in the quote above, but I am thankful for handwriting.  I find that for certain occasions - especially in the case of revision - I think better with a pen and paper.  Slash this, arrow that over there, make a note to check that, insert a portion of the slashed phrase here.  It’s almost like I need to be able to draw my thoughts, which is something you can’t do on a keyboard.  It just seems to work better.

Perhaps for you, a keyboard and mouse work better.  It’s certainly cleaner.  However, God knew what I needed - and while He didn’t create handwriting just for me, He did create it as a tool.  A tool that is unique to each person.

When was the last time you wrote something substantial for someone by hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment