Friday, August 17, 2012

Rest

Psalm 37:5,7a
“Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will do it.
“Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him...”


I have grown to appreciate rest in all its forms. I may not always want to rest when I need to, but God is bringing me around to realize how good rest is.  

I am a night person. I get my second wind around 9:30-10:00 p.m. Nothing has ever been able to consistently overcome my second wind at night. To go to sleep then is a fight.  

I am amazed at how well the exhaustion from raising a child has been able to mask that. If you’ve ever raised a child, you know how tired you are - all the time. So I take rest when I can get it - in any form I can get it.  

Being exhausted has made following God a little more mandatory in one sense. I have no energy, which means I can’t get nearly as many things done as I would like to. This forces me to rest in God. I am thankful for His rest.

It’s okay that the house isn’t clean, the clothes aren’t washed, and my car will get gas in it tomorrow. If, in following God, I am unable to get it done today - or this moment - then I have to rest in God that His will doesn’t include me completing that task at the moment.  

And if it isn’t His will, then do I really want to do it anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment