Saturday, August 4, 2012

Weekly Impressions - Focus


Matthew 6:33
“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
I struggled more this week with finding something each day to be thankful for.  I came up with all kinds of things, but there wasn’t any substance to them.  I had no way to point them back to God.  I went back over my previous thankful things looking for inspiration.  It helped to some degree, but something was missing.  I could thank Him that He put me in a place to be able to enjoy those things, but that only barely brought my focus off of myself.  I finally realized that I was having trouble because I wasn’t looking for God anymore.  I was just looking for something to be thankful for.  
Yet the purpose of being thankful is to place my focus on God.  I was so busy trying not to have expectations - or at least not to be bothered when they weren’t met - that I lost track of the big picture.  Besides, expectations aren’t bad.  Hope is a form of expectation.  Expectations become bad when they are apart from God’s will.  If I can keep my focus on God - if my hope is in the Lord - my expectations will follow.  
So I am back to searching for God in the world around me, instead of looking at the things of the world and trying to be thankful for them.  Once again, it’s all about my focus.
What is your focus right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment