Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Reminiscing


My husband and I went out for our date night tonight and got to reminiscing about the past eleven years that we’ve been together (married for eight).  It was enjoyable to go back through different stages of our relationship and to sort through how we might have done things differently, but still see God’s hand throughout.

We met in youth group, but didn’t take much notice of one another until high school.  It was my senior year that I told him that I wasn’t interested in a relationship beyond friendship; I planned to be an old crone (no really... I did!).  One month later, he came to me and told me that he wanted to court me with the intent of marriage... and by that time, as I tell the story, he had “wormed his way in.”  I agreed - and not begrudgingly.

Almost a year later, and after I had graduated and turned 18, he proposed.  He had just been laid off from his job about a month or so earlier, but had saved up enough for the ring, plus a bit more.  We planned on waiting a year-and-a-half to get married.  Some issues came up during the premarital counseling, and we postponed the wedding an additional five months, but we married and have done our best.

It has been an interesting journey through different jobs, financial situations, sin issues, family tensions, and truth-seeking, but God has been faithful.  God’s work has produced more maturity and significant spiritual growth in both of us, and we are both thankful for that.  

I am thankful for reminiscing, that we can learn from past mistakes, but mostly that God shows Himself faithful.  It is a great reminder of the One whom I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment