Monday, November 25, 2013

Sit and Talk

When we were courting, my husband and I talked a lot.  I would say that at least 80% of our time was spent sitting and talking to one another.  We had a lot to talk about, sharing beliefs, thoughts, ideas, goals, etc.  Soon after we were married, we both noticed a decrease in the amount of time we spent sitting and talking.  

It wasn’t that we didn’t want to, or that there was some mysterious switch that inverted when we married, it was that we ran out of things to talk about (or so we thought).  We already knew and shared our spiritual beliefs, we spent enough time together to know what was going on in each other’s lives - there didn’t seem to be much to talk about anymore.

I have missed it.  It isn’t just that I’m talking with my husband, it’s that I’m sharing with him and getting to know him better.  Certainly, I know a lot about him, but I will never be able to know everything.  Besides, things change, whether goals, or favorites, or plans, etc.  There are also periods of the day that I’m not with him.  I don’t have to know every detail, but I want to know how his day went, if anything stood out to him, and what he feels like doing and why.  I also want to share these of myself with him.

Today, my husband picked out a chunk of time for us to spend together, just the two of us.  What did we do?  We sat and talked!  (Though it may not have ended there...)  Husbands, just to let you know, to sit and talk with your wife is the next best thing to sex for her.  Talking enables you to know one another better.

I am thankful for the time that my husband carved out to sit and talk with me.  The more I know my husband, the easier it is for me to submit to him in unity - simply because I know his desires and goals.  If he can tell me the why of things during those times, it’s very helpful; I can begin to respond even before he asks (though I’ll still check in with him), which increases our efficacy.


It is amazing how God made wives and husbands to complement one another.  I pray that our focus remains on him, so that our “effectiveness” is put to His good use.  When was the last time you sat and talked with your spouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment