Saturday, November 2, 2013

Weekly Impressions - Regard for Others


Today was my husband’s birthday, and from the moment I realized it in the morning, my perspective changed as to how the day “should” go.  I immediately sought what he wanted over what I wanted.  It was his day.

That brings up the question in my mind... why don’t I do that every day?  Doesn’t the Bible say to “...regard one another as more important than yourselves...”?  (Philippians 2:3)  It gave me a tangible application as to what that might look like:  like the way I treat him on his birthday.

This does, of course, have its limits.  There are certain things that it’s okay to “shun” for a day for the sake of a celebration that shouldn’t be “shunned” on a regular basis.  Chores, for instance.  Yet even those should be subject to my husband’s priorities - ours align in that regard, thanks to communication, but the principle remains.

I thank the Lord that my husband lives with me “...in an understanding way...” (1 Peter 3:7) and usually reciprocates that regard of me as more important than himself.  His servant leadership is a tremendous help to our marriage, and I appreciate the example to follow.  I am also glad that the Lord revealed the contrast of my attitude from that of a normal day, and pray that He gives me wisdom in the application of the principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment