Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Job


Proverbs 3:5
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do no lean on your own understanding.”

I am so thankful for where the Lord has put me.  Almost two years ago, God decided to make me the secretary at my church.  I couldn’t have chosen a better fit with my coworkers, talents, passions, and desires.  While my church isn’t particularly small, it isn’t very large, either, which gives me a certain amount of freedom and flexibility.  It has also been perfect for my home life, as my church family has been very understanding and supportive of my husband and me taking care of a baby.  I’m pretty sure that I cried somewhere in the first month or so, because I could see what a blessing the Lord had given me.

My previous job was the worst I had ever had on so many different levels.  Not to be graphic, but to give you an idea, I had diarrhea my entire first month because I was so stressed.  God got me through nine months of sleeplessness, anxiety, stress, impossible expectations, depression, and nano-micromanagement, among other things.

I tell you this not to give you the idea that God rewarded my faithfulness with my current job.  I don’t believe that was His intention.  “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  (Romans 8:28)  

I didn’t see or understand it then, but God was using that experience to Teach me on a number of levels.  I learned several groundbreaking things about myself and about Him during that time.  He taught me how better to rely on Him, and how to deal with difficult people.  He taught me my own limitations and how important the sabbath was.  He taught me how to create good boundaries for myself.  He also taught me more job skills.  All of these things have been useful for my current position and for my life in general.  While I wouldn’t want to do it again, I am thankful that He chose to put that job in my life - and that He brought me through it.

God caused all things to work for good for me, His child. That has been blindingly apparent to me in my current job.  I am so thankful for my job, and for God’s working in my life.

Are you in one of those times when it doesn’t seem like God is really with you?  “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do no lean on your own understanding.”  (Proverbs 3:5)  I know it doesn’t make sense right now - and there’s the possibility that it may never make sense here on earth - but don’t lean on your own understanding.  God is working all things for the good of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment