Monday, March 4, 2013

Rocking Chairs


I am thankful to have a rocking chair in which to rock my adorable 1-year-old to sleep with a bottle.  It is a precious time when my son actually (mostly) holds still.  Looking down at that sweet little face and watching those baby blues fight a losing battle to stay open makes me smile.

How often do we hold still for God?  Not that we should always be still, certainly.  Yet do we have that time, and are we truly looking back at God and so at peace that it takes great effort NOT to fall asleep?

I don’t know about you, but my struggle is usually the other way around.  Sleep does not come easily.  I have noticed,however, that lately, the more I keep my focus on God, recognize that He is in control, and place my fear upon Him, the more quickly I fall asleep.  Rest is less illusory and more refreshing (See Weekly Impressions - Self-focus vs Refreshment for more on that).  It isn’t just something that seems like it should happen - it’s something that is happening.

Proverbs talks about that.  It says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...” (Proverbs 9:10) and “Keep sound wisdom and discretion, so they will be life to your soul and adornment to your neck.  Then you will walk in your way securely and your foot will not stumble.  When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.  Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.” (Proverbs 3:22-26)

I am thankful for rocking chairs, that God gives me a time of peace with my little one, and reminds me to have a time of peace with Him.  May our hearts and minds be staid upon Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment