Monday, March 4, 2013

Rocking Chairs

Proverbs 3:22-26
"Keep sound wisdom and discretion, so they will be life to your soul and adornment to your neck. Then you will walk in your way securely and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught."


I'm thankful to be able to rock my adorable one-year-old to sleep in a rocking chair. It is a precious time when my son actually (mostly) holds still. To look down at his sweet little face and watch those baby blues fight a losing battle to stay open makes me smile.

How often do we hold still for God? Certainly not every moment is meant for us to hold still. Yet do we have that time, and are we truly looking back at God and so at peace that it takes great effort NOT to fall asleep?

I don’t know about you, but my struggle is usually the other way around. Sleep does not come easily. I have noticed, however, the more I keep my focus on God, recognize He is in control, and place my fear upon Him, the more quickly I fall asleep. Rest is less illusory and more refreshing (see Impressions ~ Self-Focus vs. Refreshment for more). It isn’t just something that seems like it should happen - it’s actually happening.

Proverbs talks about this. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...” (Proverbs 9:10). In Proverbs 3:22-26 above it talks about the correlation between wisdom and sleep, as well as lack of “sudden fear.” The “...Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.” (verse 26)

I am thankful for rocking chairs, for God granting me a time of peace with my little one, and His reminder to have a time of peace with Him. May our hearts and minds be staid upon Him.

Does something help you get in a relaxed mindset in which you can focus on God?

No comments:

Post a Comment