Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Coffee Tables

Numbers 15:38,40
"'Speak to the sons of Israel, and tell them that they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and that they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue... so that you may remember to do all My commandments and be holy to your God.'"


I have fun memories of dancing on my parents’ coffee table when I was 3-5 years old. It was a nice solid piece of furniture and the level change was fun. I now have to smile as my 1-year-old son climbs up onto my in-laws’ coffee table - and dances.

A coffee table usually ends up in the center of the living room, since it’s most often placed in front of the couch. As such, it’s the perfect place for my little man to be the center of attention. This he enjoys.

He doesn’t only dance. He has his own awesomely cute mannerisms, including running in place in excitement in that cute little baby run with arms outstretched and a little grin in askance that you’ll catch him as he jumps off. That little run cracks me up every time.

I am thankful for coffee tables, that God has helped me to associate fond memories with a piece of furniture I come into contact with most every day. God uses reminders - like in the passage above - because He knows we easily forget. Do you hold fond memories of an item you often come into contact with most days? Do you have a reminder - whether one you’ve created intentionally or not - that helps you turn your focus to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment