Saturday, March 30, 2013

Weekly Impressions - Preventative Maintenance

Psalm 119:15-16
"I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways. I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word."


I realized the other day, I haven’t utilized my spiritual tools lately. Yes, I’ve been having my quiet time at night, but it’s been more by rote. Read my chapter, maybe pray, go to bed. I hadn’t sought the Lord in my formulated prayer (see Impressions - Prayer with Thanksgiving) in awhile, wasn’t trying to call thankful things to mind, nor was I confessing very often. Perhaps... (just maybe...) I was struggling more - especially in the area of depression - because I wasn’t using the tools God gave me.

The day I wrote blue, my depression was so fierce I just had to look around and say, “Thank you for my clothes, Lord. And my shoes, and my water, and my Camelback, and my desk...” and so on, producing an entire litany of things before my eyes I could thank God I had. I didn’t really focus much on why I was thankful for them. I was going more for quantity so as to be overwhelmed with His goodness and provision. I was trying to bring to mind the evidence for what I knew in faith to be true.

It helped. At the very least, it steered my mind away from my self-focus to break the downward spiral, and provide a basis off of which I could begin an upward spiral. I didn’t get very far in the upward spiral that day; I hadn’t really expected to. Feelings don’t often change with the flip of a switch; it takes time. Things did turn around emotionally by the next day.

I have purposed now to be more intentional about using my spiritual tools not only when I’m facing an issue, but during the usual course of my day. You could classify it as preventative maintenance. That’s pretty much what it boils down to. If I'd been more purposeful lately in the use of my tools, I'd not have spiraled down so far. I am so glad God not only gave me these tools, but also helps me to use them. 

“For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.” Romans 11:36
What tools has God given you in your struggles? Have you been using them lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment