Thursday, March 21, 2013

Being Sick

James 1:2-4
"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."


I know it sounds weird to be thankful for being sick, but it's more that I'm thankful for some of the results than the actual being sick part. You see, when you’re sick, you get to stay home (sometimes, granted). It's also just the common cold, rather than the really nasty stuff (nasty as some colds can be). I am blessed to be able to stay home while my husband and extended family take care of my one-year-old, so I can actually get some rest.

It’s funny that, whenever I think of staying home alone - even when I’m sick - I think, “Oh! I can get some things done!” Yet, in all honesty, this is not a responsible way of thinking. I’m staying home and not working so I can rest, in order to get better sooner, so I can return to “active duty” sooner. Sure, I can water the indoor plants, maybe get a load of laundry in the washer and dryer, if not fold them. But most of my day should be spent resting and taking care of myself.

That’s a nice reprieve, even if it is a little marred by the headache, sore throat, and stuffiness that come with being sick. So I am thankful God allows us to get sick every now and again, if only for the fact that He may also be saying, “Rest now, My child.” Knowing God is in charge of that makes the day much brighter - even through the ailments.

What negative thing is God using positively in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment