Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cut Flowers

Matthew 6:28b-29
"Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like 
one of these."


There was one last flower on my potted cyclamen, and though its petals were still vibrant, the stem had wilted to my desktop. So in honor of spring, I did something I’ve only done enough times to count on one hand: I put it behind my ear.

I was never a girly-girl and it felt weird whenever I had tried, so I just didn’t duplicate the experience. I’ve been feeling a little more adventurous in the girly-girl department lately. (You know, like I actually painted and filed my nails... not in that order.) I suppose I’ve been looking for a little something different of late. A little something to jazz things up. Not much - just a bit. An arrangement of cut flowers on the table adds a bit of flair to the room. Just enough spice to add some flavor, but not enough to change the whole dish.

I am thankful for cut flowers, that God uses His creation of color, vibrance, and originality to add a little something to our day. Something of such beauty, we can't duplicate its splendor in our own clothing, but is something He graciously shares with us. Sometimes, He even adds fragrance. All-in-all, a rather pleasant and enjoyable experience. Especially if they’re from your own plants!

When did you last stop to enjoy God's splendor as portrayed in His creation?

No comments:

Post a Comment